Located to the east of Annaghdown Abbey is this rather plain 15th Century Cathedral. The most notable feature is a wonderfully carved window inserted into the east gable -- perhaps the finest transitional-type window, c. 1190, in Ireland. The window has a round head and outside there is a round hood mould. The window jambs are intricately carved with triangle -shaped panels that have a variety of floral motifs bounded by beading, all of which surround a central continuous snake-like body. The bottom block of the left jamb depicts the head of this snake-like beast, while the block at the base of the right jamb appears to depict the tail. The window may have been taken from the Abbey. Further to the east, in the same field, are several monastic buildings.
Situated: Easy. On the eastern side of Lough Corrib. From Galway City take the N84 North towards Headford. After about 12 kilometres take a left turn. (Not signposted) then 2k another left. The Cathedral is 2k down here .
Discovery Map 45: M 2876 3773. Last visit April 2012
Longitude: 9° 4' 14" W
Latitude: 53° 23' 6" N
Photos: Jim Dempsey and Deb Snelson.