The Church Interior

Baldongan Church

AKA Baldongan Castle

This monument, with its 21 metre-high fortified tower, resembles a tower house and is known locally as Baldongan castle. But it is a fortified church whose later tower dates to the 15th Century. The church or nave may be 14th Century. An earlier church at the site was granted to the Priory of St Mary at Kilixby in 1190 AD. Around this time the Knights Templar built a fortress in the field north of the old church. This castle was the residence of the de Berminghams and Barnwalls until it was besieged by Cromwellian forces in 1642 and the 200 strong garrison were put to the sword. The site offers superb extensive views of the north Dublin countryside.

Elaborate Machicolation

Locked entrance to the tower

Situated: From Lush head towards Skerries on the R 127. After about 5 Kilometres turn right onto the L 1285. The Church is about 0.5 K down here on your right.

Discovery Map 43: O 2399 5754. Last visit Oct 2013.

Longitude: 6° 7' 44" W

Latitude: 53° 33' 11" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page