Ballinclare

Toome Church

The ruins of the medieval parish church of Toome are situated inside a rectangular graveyard just off the N11. The graveyard is defined by an earthen bank with a stone facing on the exterior. It is thought the name Toome may have derived from Tuaim meaning Mound or Tumulus. The nave and chancel church was in good repair in 1615. There are some excellent 18th century gravestones present. But the most interesting antiquity is the large bullaun stone situated outside the southwest corner of the church.

The bullaun stone is about 0.75 metres long by 1/2 metre wide. There is a large single bullaun or basin towards the west end of the stone. A small circular groove or channel runs out from the bullaun in the southeast corner of the stone.m

Situated: From Gorey head south on the N11. After about 8.5 kilometres there is a stone with Toome graveyard written on it next to an iron gate.

Discovery OS Map 77: T 0869 5437. Last visit Mar 2014.

Longitude: 6° 23' 40" W

Latitude: 52° 37' 47" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey

Previous-----Home-----Next Page