Ballyhealy Castle

Tower House

It is believed that the castle at Ballyhealy was built by Sir Richard Whitty before passing to the Cheevers through marriage. The Cheevers of Ballyhealy date from the 13th century and may be descendents of Sir Hammond Cheevers of Norfolk in England. William Chevre witnessed William Marshal's Charter to Tintern Abbey in 1207-1211. The Cheevers Family also held land in Bannow Parish. Arthur Cheevers was displaced from Cullenstown, in that parish, around the middle of the 17th century. They had also established themselves at Ballyseskin and Killiane. During the Crowellian confiscations the castle at Ballyhealy was granted to Colonel Bunbury, a Cromwellian soldier. Although there is no evidence of a bawn present today, it is believed that Bunbury removed two towers, that possibly formed part of a bawn, and a third tower was removed in the 19th century. The interior of the tower house was remodelled and until recently it was available to rent.

Situated: From Wexford Town head south on the N25. Then take a right turn for Kilmore Quay (R379). After 11 kilometres turn left before Kilmore Village. The tower house is 2 kilometres down this road on your right.

Discovery Map 77: T 0034 0570. Last visit April 2016.

Longitude: 6° 31' 57" W

Latitude: 52° 11' 39" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey

Previous-----Home-----Next Page