Youghal Priory

Benedictine Priory of St John

The early 14th century Benedictine Priory of St John can be found at 56 Main Street. It operated as a hospital from c.1306 and was subordinate to St John's Priory in Waterford. A decorated sandstone doorway in the east gable, and the single ogee-headed window above it, were probably inserted later. A passage way leading from the doorway along the southside of the structure was also added later. There is a piscina, pictured right, and an aumbry present in the south wall of the passageway. It is reputed Oliver Cromwell used the building as his headquarters during the winter of 1649. The building has gone under many changes and is now home to the Priory Coffee Co. and yes Eggs Benedict is on the menu.

Piscina

Situated: Very easy, on the west side of Main Street in Youghal

Discovery Map 81: X 1040 7802. Last visit Sept 2019.

Longitude: 7° 50' 55" W

Latitude: 51° 57' 16" N

Google Map.

Photo: Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page