From the southeast

Boyle Abbey

This impressive Cistercian Abbey was founded in 1161 by monks from Mellifont on lands provided by the local ruling MacDermott family. In 1202 the Abbey was occupied by William de Burgh, a norman knight and founder of the Bourke dynasty in Ireland. In 1203 he plundered Connacht and took the title "Lord of Connacht". The cruciform church has a chapel in each of the transepts and the arches of the north and south arcades do not match. The north are pointed and the south arches are round. In the 16th century the cloister was fortified as a bawn and a gatehouse was added to the west wall. A tower survives in the southwest corner of the bawn. The abbey was closed during our visit but we will definitely call back to view the interior.

Situated: Heading northwest on the N4 take a left turn onto the R294. Signposted Boyle. The abbey is 2.5 kilometres down here on your right.

Discovery Map 33: G 8050 0276. Last visit Aug 2013.

Longitude:  8° 17' 50" W

Latitude: 53° 58' 26" N

Google Map.

Photos: Jim Dempsey

Previous-----Home-----Next Page