Clomantagh Church

The old Parish Church at Clomantagh was built in c.1200. It is a long rectangular nave and chancel church, with a double belfry in the west gable. There are two tall twin windows in the east gable. The south wall is almost completely covered in ivy. An opening in the east end of the north wall, may have been the original entrance. Apart from the belfry and the two windows mentioned, few features remain. A large number of putlog holes can be seen in the west gable. From the northside of the graveyard you can see the four storey Shortal castle, see image left. The interior floor level of the church is much lower than the ground level in the churchyard.

East gable windows

Roadside

Situated: From Urlingford head north on the R639 then at the roundabout turn right onto the R693. After 750 metres turn right staying on the R693. 3.4 kilometres turn right again on the R693. The church is 2.9k down this road.

Discovery Map 60: S 3480 6379. Last visit Feb 2019.

Longitude: 7° 29' 5" W

Latitude: 52° 43' 27" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous----Home-----Next Page