Irish High Crosses
All that remains of the monastery, which was founded here in Co Louth, by a disciple of St Patrick, Lughaidh (died around 515) are a round tower and the head of a tenth century granite cross. In 1918 the head of the cross was re-erected on a modern granite base and shaft and positioned in the graveyard east of the bell-tower. On the west face of the cross, pictured right is a decorated boss. The east face bears figure sculpture on both arms. On the left arm is a hunting scene, the right arm shows a horse carrying a headless torso, preceded by a man bearing the head, this scene, believed to be David and Goliath, is also depicted on the base of the North cross Ahenny. At the centre of the head is a square plaque with dragon like creatures uncoiling from a central boss, a detail of which is shown below.
Situated: From Drogheda take the N1 North, go through Castlebellingham, after about 2 kilometres take a left turn (sign-posted) for Dromiskin the cross in the graveyard to your right, about 1 kilometre down this road.
Group: North Leinster.
Discovery Map: 36 O 0526 9814. Last Visit: Jan 2012.
Longitude: 6° 23' 51" W
Latitude: 53° 55' 19" N
Nearest High Crosses featured on this website
Monasterboice: 16 Kilometres South.
Termonfeckin: 20 Kilometres SSE.
Killary: 23 Kilometres SW.
Duleek: 33 Kilometres S.
Kells: 38 Kilometres SW.
Photos: Jim Dempsey.
.Previous-----Crosses Home---- Next