Irish High Crosses

Killaloe

The High Cross in St Flannan's Cathedral was moved to Killaloe from Kilfenora in 1821. Originally the cross stood on the highest point south of Kilfenora Cathedral, and became known as the cross on the hill. Dr Richard Mant who was appointed Bishop of Killaloe and Kilfenora in 1820, was appalled by the condition and lack of respect shown for the antiquities in Kilfenora. The cross, which had fallen in 1820, was sent to the Bishop the following year. He had it erected on the grounds of his residence Clarisford Palace. The cross was moved at a later date by a Bishop Ludlow and moved back within the Palace grounds in 1850. In 1934 the cross fell again and this time broke into three pieces. It was re-erected inside the cathedral and fixed against the west gable. In 1998 the cross was repaired and erected as a free standing cross. It stands over four metres high and bears a figure of christ in the centre of the head. Around the imperforate ring there are three triangular knot patterns. In the area bottom right of christ is a design bearing four beast heads. Above the figure is a celtic knot panel and the top of the shaft is decorated with fretwork.

Cross Head

A Rune Stone is also on display in the Cathedral

Situated: Very Easy. Located on Royal Parade in the centre of Killaloe.

Group: Kilfenora Group

Google Map.

Discovery OS. Map: 75 S 422 274.

Last Visit: 2012.

Nearest other Crosses

Inishcaltra: 25 Kilometres N.

Noughaval: 45 Kilometres W.

Corrofin: Clare Heritage centre: 63 Kms NW.

Dysert: 63 Kilometres W.

Kilfenora: 75 Kilometres NW.

 

Previous-----Crosses Home----Next