Kilcash

Romanesque Church

Beautifully situated on the SE slopes of Slievenamon, this gorgeous nave and chancel church, was built on a 6th century monastic site associated with St Colman ua hEirc. The original church is now the chancel. It is constructed of large crude blocks of sandstone. The much larger nave was added later. In the south wall of the nave is a badly weathered romanesque doorway. It has three decorated orders, with worn chevrons and masks. To the east of the church is an 18th century mausoleum built by the Butler family. Records reveal the bodies of Col Thomas Butler of Kilcash (d.1738), Margaret Butler, Lady Iveagh (d. 1744), Archbishop Christopher Butler of Cashel (d.1757) and the 16th and 17th earls of Ormond were buried here.

Romanesque doorway

Decorated base of the orders

Worn mask at the top of the column

Chancel with Mausoleum and Castle in the b/ground

Original church now the chancel

Situated: From Carrick-on-Suir head west on the N24 for 6.5 kilometres. Then take a slight right turn. Then go slight right through the crossroads. After 3.5K turn right onto the N76. Then 20 metres turn left. The church is about 700 metres down here on your right.

Discovery Map 75: S 3243 2739. Last visit June 2015.

Longitude: 7° 31' 24" W

Latitude: 52° 23' 50" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Mausoleum

Previous-----Home-----Next