Kilmallock Abbey

Dominican Priory

The proper title for this abbey is St Saviour's Priory. It was established in 1291 on land acquired with Royal consent from the landowner John Bluet. The monastery with it's nave and chancel church was built by Gilbert Fitzgerald. It was extended in the early part of the 14th century by Gilbert's son Maurice. He added a tall bell-tower, halfway along the length of the church, a south transept with a west aisle and also added an aisle to the south side of the nave.

Pictured above are the four northern arches of the cloister arcade, only the arch to the left is original the other three have been completely restored. There is a superb five light window in the east wall of the church and another beautiful window in the south transept with honeycomb tracery. Further alterations to the domestic buildings were made in the 15th century. The Dominican friars remained here until 1571.

Cloister garth

Carving

Fine tomb carving

Medieval tomb

Situated: The abbey is located at the north end of the town. Take a right turn, if heading west, at King John's Castle on the main street.

Discovery Map 73: R 6087 2803. Last visit June 2015.

Longitude: 8° 34' 30" W

Latitude: 52° 24' 9" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page