Ecclesiastical Site

An early ecclesiastical enclosure was established in the townland of Great Island when it was an actual island. A church was also founded here in the 8th century by Suadbar, see Kilmokea High Cross. As well as the high cross there are a number of interesting artifacts, including the bullaun stones pictured left. The largest of these is a large conglomerate stone similar to the bullaun stone at Ballycanew. The bullaun stones are grouped together to the left of the gateway. The cross is to the right.

Situated: Kilmokea cemetery is located in Great Island townland. From New Ross head south on the R733 for 5 kilometres. Turn right in Slaught staying on the R733. After 5.5 K turn right. The cemetery is 3 kilometres down here to the right of Kilmokea House.

Discovery Map 76. S 6868 1655. Last visit April 2015.

Longitude: 6° 59' 35" W

Latitude: 52° 17' 47" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Stile leading to graveyard.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page