Tower and Altar

Lady's Island

Tower House with Gatehouse

This five storey tower house is situated at the north end of Lady's Island and controlled access to the island from the causeway leading from the mainland. In 1195 Lady's Island was the fief of Milo de Lamporte. During the 17th century the castle/tower house was in the possession of William Browne of Mulrankin. The original entrance in the southwest wall is now blocked. A gatehouse extends from the northwest side of the castle. The island was occupied by a community of Augustinian monks from the 15th century up until the suppression. It is regarded as a place of pilgrimage and a platform with an enclosed altar has been built against the northeast wall.

Small window slot

Southwest wall and gatehouse

Possible bawn corner tower

Situated: From Wexford take the N25 south for 15 Kilometres. At Tagoat take a right turn for Lady's Island. After 4.5 k you will reach Lady's Island Lake and Town.

Discovery Map 77. T 1061 0753. Last visit April 2015.

Longitude: 6° 22' 54" W

Latitude: 52° 12' 31" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page