First floor room

Lyons Gatehouse

We know from historical records that the Lyons Estate was held by the Aylmer family in the later part of the 14th century. The estate passed from Richard Aylmer d.1455 to his son Bartholomew d.1501, before passing to Richard Aylmer (c.1479- 1513). In turn his son Richard (1509-1559), and his wife Eleanor Fleming, held the estate until they purchased the Donadea estate in 1558. The Lyons estate was left to their third son, Sir Gerald Aylmer (1548-1634). The family lost the estate, during the Jacobite war in Ireland, before regaining it under the Treaty of Limerick. It remained in the family until 1796, when Michael Aylmer sold the estate to Sir Nicholas Lawless, 1st Baron of Cloncurry, to whom he was indebted.

All that remains of the medieval settlement today are, the ruins of the old parish church and a fortified gateway. Known locally as the "Castle" this 3 storey, including the wall-walk, structure has a wide, arched entrance, that leads to a courtyard. A small tower, protruding from the east side of the north wall, has a small round arched doorway in the west wall, pictured above left. A narrow spiral staircase, in this tower, leads up to a small room on the first floor. The stair also gives access to a wall-walk above the first floor. The interior of the castellated gateway is very overgrown, but it was possible to see the flat stones of the wall-walk. There is a record of a hamlet being burned by government troops, in this area, in 1612.

Situated:The gatehouse is located to the south of the old graveyard on the Lyons Estate. The Estate is owned by University College, Dublin, and is used as a Research Farm. It is private property, permission must be acquired before visiting.

Discovery Map 50: N 9743 2846. Last visit Jan 2018.

Longitude: 6° 32' 18" W

Latitude: 53° 17' 51" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page