Maudlin Castle/Caisleán Mhaidilín

Leper Hospital

This 16th century tower house stands on Maudlin Street. It formed part of a leper hospital that may have existed here as early as the 12th century. There is evidence to show a spittle hospital operated here in 1327. The name Maudlin is derived from the Irish for Magdalen. Many Leper hospitals were dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. The four storey tower house is 25 metres high with a stair turret on the south side. The tower house may have also formed part of the towns defences. There is slight evidence of a wall extending from the south wall and an 18th century artwork features an arched gate attached to the wall. The arched entrance to tower is located in the east wall on the exterior of the town walls. The leper hospital was surrounded by high walls. The townland, named Gardens, was heavily defended as it consisted of farmland and barns that supplied and stored the agricultural produce for Kilkenny Castle.

Arched entrance

Garderobe

Situated: On Maudlin Street on the north eastern side of the River Nore. From Kilkenny Castle head northwest on the R887. After crossing the river take a right at the crossroads onto Maudlin Street.

Discovery Map 67: S 5111 5597. Last visit Sept 2017.

Longitude: 7° 14' 41" W

Latitude: 52° 39' 9" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous----Home-----Next Page