The Well House

Mulhuddart

Holy Well

Holy wells are more often than not sacred pagan springs that have been christianized. Usually they were given the name of a local saint. The well at Mulhuddart came to prominence during norman times and is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. The well house was erected in the early 18th century by nuns from a Dublin convent. During that century huge crowds used to amass here on the 8th September (Ladys Day), the feast of the birth of the Virgin Mary. They came from all over North County Dublin hoping to get a cure for sprains or rheumatism. Like most festivals around this time alcohol was sold and drunkenness and fighting became common. The Parish Priest at Blanchardstown tried to ban the sale of alcohol from the many tents erected at the holy well.

In 1760 it was reported that Edward Campbell, a gentleman's servant, died from wounds received after a fight at Lady's Well.

Situated: Very easy. From Blanchardstown head west on the N3 following the signs for Mulhuddart. In the village take the first right immediately after the petrol station. Drive north along Church Road. The well is situated on your left about 500 metres up this road.

Google Map

Discovery OS Map 50: O 0693 4101. Last visit Jan 2013.

Longitude: 6° 23' 30" W

Latitude: 53° 24' 30 " N

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

From the back

Previous-----Home-----Next Page