Mungret Church

Mungret Abbey

St Nessan established a monastery here in the 6th century. It is believed there were as many as six churches and about 1,500 monks here at one time, but sadly the abbey went into decline after many viking raids and was destroyed by Donal McLoughlin in 1107. It later became a parish church under Augustinian Canons. This is the second and largest of the churches at Mungret. According to a plaque on the north wall this Pre-Norman church is not later than the 1100 AD. There is a lintelled doorway with inclined jambs leading into the nave, which is the oldest part of the church. Unfortunately the gates into the church were locked. The building was extended and the tower, the priest's living quarters, was added during the 15th century.

From the Northwest

Through archway

From the south

Situated:From Limerick take the N69 south. At the South circular junction take a left turn at the 2nd roundabout onto the R 510. Take a right turn at the 2nd roundabout, remaining on the R 510. Take a left at St Nessans church.

Discovery Map 65: R 5426 5385. Last visit April 2012.

Longitude: 8° 40' 32" W

Latitude: 52° 38' 3" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey and Deb Snelson.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page