The Priory
The Church

Newtown Trim

Priory of St John the Baptist

Adjacent to the old Newtown Bridge that spans the River Boyne stands the ruins of the Priory and Hospital of St John the Baptist. The priory was founded for the 'Crutched Friars' (name is from the wooden staffs they carried which were topped by a cross) by Simon de Rochfort c 1202, about the same time as he founded the Cathedral and medieval parish church. The Friars were Augustinians who ran hospitals and guest houses.

Their hospitals were built similar to all Augustinian monasteries, but with special facilities for caring for the sick. Among the remains is a church with a nave and chancel and a large three-light window in the east wall, see above. Part of a long two story building remains as well as remnants of a 15-16th century enclosing wall with one small corner turret still standing. The most prominent building is a 15th century three-storey residential tower which is vaulted above ground floor and forms part of the defensive wall. The priory was dissolved in 1540 and the buildings were re-used as a private residence. The ruins were quite confusing at first, as there is so much of it, but slowly it all came together. Along with the Cathedral and parish church at Newtown Trim this whole complex is very impressive.
Looking towards the Tower

Turret

Situated: From the M3 take the R 154 towards Trim. Newtown Trim is located on the north side of the road about two kilometres before Trim. The Priory is on the right hand side of the bridge.

Google Map.

Discovery Map 42. N 8163 5685. Last visit Mar 2011.

Longitude:   6° 46' 5" W

Latitude: 53° 33' 19" N

Photos: Jim Dempsey and Deb Snelson.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page