} //-->
Quin Friary

Quin Friary

Mainister Chuinche

We arrived at Quin Friary late in the evening. Unfortunately there is no access to the abbey after 4pm during the summer months, which seems quite early. Because of this our photos of the friary are mainly restricted to exterior shots. Thomas de Clare, Lord of Thomond, built a castle here in 1280. The castle had four cylindrical corner towers and a large courtyard. Within 6 years the castle had been attacked by the Irish and lay in ruins. In 1433 the MacNamara family founded an abbey here for the Franciscan Friars. The Friary consisted of a nave and chancel church with a central tower, pictured left, and a southern transept off the nave. The cloister and living quarters lay to the north of the church. The arched western doorway has a square mould (see image below left). Above the entrance is a tall two light window. There is a beautifully carved window in the western dormitory. The foundations of the four bastions (Corner towers) can still be seen from the wall walks around the upper floor of the Friary. The Friary was dissolved by Henry the V111 in 1541. The last abbot of Quin, John Hogan died in 1820 aged 80 years. We look forward to returning to Quin to view the interior of the Friary.

Western doorway

From the west

Situated: Very easy, Quin Friary is situated just off the northside of the R 469 in the town of Quin nine miles south east of Ennis. The friary is not open on mondays.

Discovery Map 58: R4182 7460. Last visit April 2012.

Longitude: 8° 51' 47" W

Latitude: 52° 49' 9" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey and Deb Snelson.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page