Medieval graveslabs

The ruins of the Church of Ireland church of Rathmacknee, built in 1813, stand within a subrectangular graveyard. The graveyard is also the site of an earlier church dedicated to St Martin of Tours. The site of a holy well also dedicated to St Martin lies about c.100 metres NE of the church. The old church was granted by the bishop to the Augustinian canons of All Hallows (All Saints) in Dublin in 1333, confirming an earlier grant of William Marshall (c. 1200).

Situated in the graveyard on the southside of the church are two medieval graveslabs. The trapezoidal slab, pictured above, has a cross in relief, the ends of the cross head bear fleur-des-lys. A barely visible inscription, added at a later date, commemorates a George Walsh d.1757. The second graveslab is over 2 metres in length and bears an incised cross with a stepped base and a double ring at the head, with a diamond shape in the centre, see top image.

Situated: From Wexford Quays head south on the R730 for 5 Kilometres approx. Then turn right for Kilmore Quay. After the offset crossroads take the next right. The church is 1 kilometre down here on your right.

Discovery Map 77: T 0302 1409. Last visit July 2019.

Longitude: 6° 29' 26" W

Latitude: 52° 16' 8" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page