Church and Cross

The present Church at Skreen stands on the site of an even earlier church dedicated to St Columba. The name Skreen comes from the Latin An Scrin meaning the shrine, in 875 the relics and shrine of St Columba were brought to a monastery on this site for safe-keeping. The monastery was plundered frequently by raiders and in 1027 the shrine was robbed, but later recovered. To the north of the church stands a short armed medieval cross bearing a rather crude crucifixion. The cross stands at about 1.5 metres high and almost 50 cms wide, the cross is so weathered it is impossible to make out any detail on the carving.

Inside the tower, which was built around the 15th century are an undecorated baptismal font, pictured below right and a large tomb slab. The Hill of Tara can clearly be seen from the Hill of Skreen.

Situated: Take the N2 north from Dublin, through Dunshaughlin, then after about six kilometres take a right turn, signposted Skreen church and cross. The church is situated at the top of the hill.

Discovery Map 43: N 9514 6052. Last visit May 2006.

Longitude: 6° 33' 47" W

Latitude: 53° 35' 9" N

Google Map.

Pics Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page