Old Ross

Springpark Motte

The flat topped motte in Springpark townland, Old Ross, is first mentioned in 1233, (Hore 1900-11, vol. 1, 2). At the east side it stands almost 8 metres high. the diameter at the base is c.35m. A bailey may have existed to the south of the motte, but there is no longer any visual evidence of one. Motte and bailey castles, with a wooden keep and palisade, were quick to build and the preferred type of fortification built during the early invasion of Ireland. Stone castles were erected over time.

A stone castle was built, just south of the motte, before the 16th century, but by the end of the 17th century it was in disrepair, nothing remains of the castle on site, but two gargoyles from the castle are stored at the Royal Society of Antiquaries in Dublin (Hore 1900-11, vol. 1,1, n2). Old Ross was a manor of Strongbow's descendants in County Wexford. About 450 metres South East of the motte is a church site. The village was probably situated between the church and the motte.

Situated: From New Ross travel north on the R700, after 2 kilometres take the 1st exit at the roundabout on to the N30. Then after 6K turn left for Old Ross. Go 3 kilometres to the T-Junction. The motte is in the field on your left.

Discovery Map 76. S 7944 2769. Last visit Jun 2019.

Longitude: 6° 49' 58" W

Latitude: 52° 23' 42" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page