Trabeate doorway with Greek cross

St Féichin's Church

Pre-Norman Church

This small church was first erected as a simple rectangular building with antae. it had plain windows and a fabled lintelled west doorway, pictured left, that is decorated with a Greek cross. The lintel weighs about 7 tons and legend has it that it was raised into position by the strength of St Féichin prayers. Around 1200 a chancel with altar was added. An archway leading to the chancel was re-erected in 1934. The arch has a small carving on the north side. The east window was added in the 15th century. A font, seen in the image right, remains inside the church along with the altar and some early gravestones.

St Féichin

St. Féichín (aka St Féchín, Mo-ecca. ) is traditionally believed to have been born in Billa in the Parish of Collooney, Co. Sligo in the early part of the 7th century. He was educated under St Nahi of Archonry, before moving to Clonmacnoise. He founded several monastic houses around Ireland. The most notable was the foundation here at Fore. He also established monastic sites at Termonfechin in Louth, Cong in County Mayo, Ardoilén or High Island, Inismaan, and Omey Island in County Galway. He is venerated in Scotland where he is known by the Latin form of his name Vigeanus or St Vigeans. St Féichín died of yellow fever in c.665 AD.

Cross Slabs

 

 

 

 

 

 

Font

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Situated:

 

Discovery Map 41: N 5097 7047. Last visit July 2018.

Longitude: 7° 13' 43" W

Latitude: 53° 40' 53" N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page