The Black Abbey

The abbey ruins are located on the grounds of the Irish National Stud so we expected to be able to enter the graveyard from inside the Stud. Unfortunately, the abbey is completely fenced off and inquiries led us to believe the abbey could not be entered. As luck would have it, we saw a gentleman entering the graveyard from the road behind the Abbey and we followed suit. The Abbey was founded in the late 13th - early 14th century as a preceptory by the Knights Hospitaller of St. John of Jerusalem - now known as the Knights of Malta. The Knights wore black habits and thus the name. Little is known of the foundation, though it was important enough to have had a number of Chapters of the order held there. After the treaty of Limerick the property was confiscated as was many Catholic lands. The property changed hands many times after the suppression and has been left in ruin. The abbey layout is quite simple and has very few interesting features.

Situated: On the grounds of the National Stud , Tully, County Kildare.

Discovery Map 55: N 7333 1109. Last visit Mar 2011.

Longitude: 6° 54' 14"  W

Latitude: 53° 8' 43"  N

Google Map

Photos: Jim Dempsey.


Previous-----Home-----Next Page