Youghal

Tynte's Tower House

This 15th century urban tower house was probably built by the Walshes, a wealthy merchant family. The house was forfeited to the crown at the end of the Desmond rebellion and was granted to Sir Robert Tynte in 1584. Tynte, a soldier, was born in Wraxall in Somerset, England. He settled in Youghal during the late 16th century. He was knighted in 1620 and later married Elizabeth Spenser, the widow of the poet Sir Edmund Spenser. Tynte built the church of Kilcredan in Diocese of Cloyne in 1636. Sir Robert died around the middle of the 17th century, his final resting place is at Kilcredan Church where his mutilated effigial tomb remains. The house remained in the Tynte family until 1866.

The building has been altered over the years and may have served as a prison for Cromwells supporters during the reign of James II. It was also converted for use as a grain stone in the 19th century, which probably accounts for the large window openings in the west wall. High above the modern entrance is a small machicolation, see image below. The structure has a hipped roof that is hidden behind Irish crenellations, also pictured below. There is a short batter, see bottom image, at the base of the tower house.

Situated: On the east side of North Main Street, opposite the almshouses.

Discovery Map 81: X 1029 7819. Last visit Sept 2019.

Longitude: 7° 51' 1" W

Latitude: 51° 57' 21" N

Google Map.

Photo: Jim Dempsey.

Previous-----Home-----Next Page